No announcement yet.

I'm baaack ...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Lexie, I am so sorry to hear about this. This is my first time checking in in a few months.

My step-mother's grandmother and grandfather suffered from dementia and her mother died after battling Alzheimer's Disease. It's SCARY. It's scary for my stepmom to know that is likely her fate. Its scary for us to know my siblings and I will likely have to face a similar situation you find yourself in.

When I was in high school a friend came to me and she was terribly upset that her mother had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and only had months to live. After having lost my Mom when I was 6 years old, I gave her the best advice I could. Enjoy and cherish every moment you get to spend with her. Weeks after her mother passed away she came to me and told me how much she had appreciated those words when everyone else she knew was telling her everything was going to be ok.

You don't strike me as the type who needs any sugar-coating so I will say the same to you. Try to enjoy every good day, hour, or moment you have with her. Try NOT to get too down, upset or angry about the bad ones. Just know that you have an army of people who have come to love and appreciate what you've done here for years who are thinking of you and supporting you from afar.

Comment

• Walleye
      Walleye commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow great post. You are wise.....

• ~smee~
      ~smee~ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, what Walleye said -- thank you PiePiePie for this post. You are amazing..

• Luanne
      Luanne commented
      Editing a comment
      So true------

PiePiePie... you are right, I'm not the type that needs sugar-coating. I appreciate your candor. I do try to remind myself - one that she can't help what's happening to her and two - that she doesn't mean to make things crazy and turn everything upside down - and three - that I am lucky that I have the opportunity to have this time with her and at the same time have the support of my family - especially my husband - who is dealing with this as much as I am.

Thank you for good advice, kind words and for reaching out : )

Comment

Lexie, I am very to hear about your Mom. And I am just one of the army of people who love and appreciate you. Stay strong sweetie.<3

Comment

Lexie - please remember to take care of you too. So many primary caregivers dont realize the stress and strain they are putting on themselves emotionally and physically. I highly encourage to look into respite programs (my company does some volunteer work with Alzheimers Association) - remember - you need to be healthy in order to be in the best position to tend to your mother.

so sorry to hear you are going through this.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X