No announcement yet.

BBU Book Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I've had a love of books from childhood and grade school. My favorite author back then was Beverly Cleary. She wrote all the Henry Higgins and Beesus and Ramona books and the Mouse and the Motorcycle. She then did a few teen books. My cherished possession I still have is a letter she wrote to me. I must have written her a fan letter and she wrote me back from her home in Carmel California. I always wanted to go there, that's probably why.

Comment

Abraxa, How is Reacher doing. Just noticed today, Childs 20th book in Reacher series came outa on Ebooks. Yahoo​

Comment

Argh - I can't read the board too well from work anymore - they made it so that all the formatting is gone and I have to sort through text and blocked images to find things, so I probably won't be here anymore from work - if this post works, I will be totally amazed.

Comment

• OhThisHouse
          OhThisHouse commented
          Editing a comment
          You are here, but seems I had problems getting to sight today. Not sure why. How is Reacher? Are you a fan.

• abraxas1954
          abraxas1954 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok - the site looks normal now - I am loving Reacher - going to try to get through the whole series again.

I meant to comment to Abraxa

Comment

I just read Jonathan Franzen's latest book - Purity. It blew me away, and that's saying something because I love him so much that I expect good things, but this was an awesome read. I also read Blue Spool of Thread by Anne Tyler - epic American novel. Let me know if anyone reads either of these two! Missing BBU!

Comment

Reading ''Zero Sum Game'' (RUSSEL's ATTIC BOOK 1) by SL Haung - just started it....

''Cas Russell is good at math. Scary good.

The vector calculus blazing through her head lets her smash through armed men twice her size and dodge every bullet in a gunfight. She can take any job for the right price and shoot anyone who gets in her way.

As far as she knows, she’s the only person around with a superpower . . . but then Cas discovers someone with a power even more dangerous than her own. Someone who can reach directly into people’s minds and twist their brains into Moebius strips. Someone intent on becoming the world’s puppet master.

Someone who’s already warped Cas’s thoughts once before, with her none the wiser.

Cas should run. Going up against a psychic with a god complex isn’t exactly a rational move, and saving the world from a power-hungry telepath isn’t her responsibility. But she isn’t about to let anyone get away with violating her brain — and besides, she’s got a small arsenal and some deadly mathematics on her side. There’s only one problem . . .

She doesn’t know which of her thoughts are her own anymore.''

Comment

• Shan
              Shan commented
              Editing a comment
              *adding to 'to read' list* sounds really good!!

I have read a few books. Nothing like you guys here though. My first favorite book was Flowers for Algernon. I am more of a fan of the short story because it takes me to long to read anything with a lot of substance to it. It's not that I don't like to read because it's something that I am always doing. It's more of the time thing for me. Sometime I have to go back and read some of what I have just read to get out of it the message that I think the author was trying to convey. But I do like a good story. I have read a few Stephen King books and *It* was probably my favorite. I did read The Talisman by him and Peter Straub. Which I thought was excellent. So telling a friend that I had read it he turned me on to The Blue Adept series by Piers Anthony. Because it was kind of along the same lines of going from two different dimensions. For lack of a better explanation. As you may have noticed here, I do like to dabble a little in my own stories. But my two half dead brain cells don't like working that hard!!!. Last but not least. I have to agree that Stephen King can write an excellent book for about three quarters of it. But the man has a horrible time with being able to end it for some reason!!!

Comment

• kokomogirl
              kokomogirl commented
              Editing a comment
              I read a lot of Piers Anthony about 20+ years ago and loved his writing. Might be time to get into some of the books I never did get around to reading. I have to agree about Stephen King. He can write some fantastic stuff and then the ending just falls flat, leaving me saying ''What!?'' Some times with him it's the journey to get there that is exciting while the destination point can be a real let down.

• Livzee
              Livzee commented
              Editing a comment
              Flowers for Algernon takes me way back to my first years as a teacher when I used that book. Tender.

Just finished "Room" by Emma Donoghue. Wow! Recommend to anyone.

Comment

• Livzee
              Livzee commented
              Editing a comment
              I read that too - blew me away. The child lost his astonishingly good mother because her need to return to normal was so great. But he was in Wonderland - loved it too.

My newest favorite: ''Not My Father's Son'' by Alan Cumming. Have loved him as an actor for a long time -- his book just made me love him even more.
            If you like sad books, ''A Land More Kind Than Home'' by Wiley Cash really touched me.
            Last edited by ~smee~; 02-03-2016, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I just read Avenue of Mysteries by John Irving. Excellent strange novel that mostly does not take place in America but is absolutely a great American novel.

Comment

bump

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has read the Liane Moriarty books, particularly Big Little Lies ? I loved that book, and am actually really enjoying the HBO miniseries right now. The cast is spectacular (for the most part), and they are staying fairly close to the actual storyline from the book. There are a few changes, and characters left out that I miss, but it is actually pretty good. Final episode is this Sunday, and I can't wait to see if they end it right.

Comment

• KennyERJ
                    KennyERJ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Book? What is this thing you speak of? lol I don't have HBO so I haven't seen the miniseries.

• ~smee~
                    ~smee~ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are soooo funny KennyERJ. You should be glad you did not see the miniseries - watched the last episode last night, and I am officially disappointed. It showed so much promise, but the finale was SUCH a throwaway -- it really explained nothing. Read the book (yes, that dirty 4-letter word), if you are interested. JMHO

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X